17th Century Rectors of St John's

Dick Field

RECTORS OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO IN THE 17TH CENTURY

BEFORE THE RESTORATION

1602William Innians A.M. (also Rector of St Peter Westout from 1598)
1617John Chauntrell (also Rector of All Saints 1614)
1661-62Thomas Stephenson (also Rector of St Thomas in 1660)
1664 ?Francis Chaloner (staunch Roman Catholic)
1664Henry Thurman (also Rector of St Peter Westout 1662)

AFTER THE RESTORATION

1669-70Thomas Clark A.B. (also Rector of St Thomas 1666)
1673-4John Shore (also  Rector of St Thomas 1673 and Rector of All Saints 1685-1689; also Rector of Hamsey Church for 47 years until he died in 1721)

Although the print below is believed to post date 1779 (when the porch was moved from the south elevation of the Nave to the south side of the Tower), the church would otherwise have looked very like this in the 17th century.

St John sub Castro in 18th century

 

 

This page was added on 26/06/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *