Past rectors - John Shore (1674 - 1708)

L S Davey - The Church of St John sub Castro, Lewes: A Historical Record

John Shore retired from the living in 1708. A tablet to the memory of his wife is placed in the wall behind the side altar. He was also Rector of the Cliffe and Hamsey, being 47 years at the latter Church.
He died in 1721, And a marble monument to his memory is situated over the Communion Table at Hamsey Church.
It is recorded that the Rev Dr Shore unsuccessfully sued Mr Tourle of Landport Farm, for tithe on land rented by him and known as Hangman’s Acre opposite what is now Paddock Road .
This land formerly belonged to the Town Crier and it originates from the time when the gallows were first erected on Gallows Bank (now Abinger Place).  The Corporation of Lewes hold this land in trust at the present time (1933).

This page was added on 20/11/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *