Although we have several pictures showing external views of old St John’s at various times, we have very little information about what the interior looked like.
This drawing however shows the interior layout in 1816, and indicates the position of the Communion Table, Pulpit and Reading Desk, and the Pews. It also shows the Tower, and the Gallery (which would have been above pew numbers 1, 2, 29 and 30).
The thinner section of wall behind the Communion Table would have been built in order to close up the arch left by the removal of the Chancel.
The original Chancel, which had been pulled down in 1587 owing to its ruinous state, extended beyond the right hand (Eastern) end of the building shown on the plan. The Crofts family burial vaults were later sited on the footprint of the original Chancel, and are shown here.