St John's Church, Sub Castro, the Medieval Church
This picture shows what the original church looked like in 1776.
At the east end of the Nave, notice the remains of the old Chancel, which was pulled down in 1587.
Notice also the inscribed stones set in a semicircle, commemorating the Danish prince, Magnus.
By 1839 the church was considered too small because of all the new houses that had been built in the surrounding Pells area.
It was therefore demolished, and the present church built.