Baptism, Burial and Memorial records 1601-1999

Chris Swarbrooke

These records are the result of research carried out by Chris Swarbrooke and others.

Work began in October 1999 to survey, record, photograph and transcribe the tombstones situated within the church and churchyard of St John sub Castro as part of an East Sussex Archaeology & Museums Partnership (ESAMP) project.
Also as part of this work, both the Baptism Registers and the Burial Registers were transcribed.

The work was completed by Chris Swarbrooke & Susan Crooks in 2005.

Chris Swarbrooke passed away in January 2021, and the electronic files documenting his researches have kindly been made available to St John sub Castro (now part of Trinity Church Lewes) by his family. We are most grateful to them, and to Chris, for this invaluable contribution to the church’s history.

The records can be accessed by clicking the following links:

Baptism records

Burial records

Memorial Images

Memorial Images with Inscriptions

In order to show the geographical area represented by these records, Chris also took photographs of the Parish Tithe Map as it was in 1841, and these can be seen on the link St John Without 

Any queries in connection with these records may be addressed to:

Some Church Memorials may have been repositioned or removed during 2017 alterations.

Please note that the transcribed records not intended to be a substitute for the original entries.  Whilst every care was taken when transcribing, researchers are advised to consult the originals for verification.

This page was added on 06/10/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *