An extract from ‘The Schools of Lewes C13 – C21st’ by Brigid Chapman:
On 23 January 1871 a plot of land on the east side of St John’s Street, which runs from West Street to Lancaster Street, was conveyed by ‘John Porter of Lewes, gent’ in trust to the rector and churchwardens of St John sub Castro to erect a school for 140 pupils.
The use of this building was not confined ‘to the excellent instruction imparted within its walls’. It was also used for parish meetings and other ‘parochial purposes’.
Its pupils were not always confined to their classrooms. Every summer they had their annual school treat on the Race Hill where, according to the Sussex Express of 28 June 1890, they had ‘a bountiful tea, plenty of music, and a large number of prizes and good things distributed’. This ‘goodly gathering of friends and teachers to assist in the sports and amusements provided’ was preceded by a short service of praise in the church, conducted by the rector, the Reverend A P Perfect.
Here is some more information about the St John’s School which, although mainly about the Pells School, does contain a reference to it.
Does anyone know where the St John’s School was? As it was on the east side of St John Street, it could be where South Place flats are now. The space to the east of the flats might have provided space for a playground?