Construction of the new church started in 1839, and the following is from a local newspaper dated June 1839:
The new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester on 3rd June 1840.
Built by Mr G Cheesman of Brighton at a cost of £3,300 (equivalent to about £300,000 today), the seating accommodation provided for 1,013 people, of which 602 seats were declared free and unappropriated for ever.
The free seats occupied the middle of the nave, which assured to the “lowly occupants” a perfect hearing of the service.
The building of the new church was at the time considered an extraordinary undertaking for the parish, for not only was it built and consecrated within twelve months, but all debts had been paid at the time of opening.
After the Consecration Service a collection at the door of the church realised £51 which was set aside for the purchase of an organ.
Plans of the church as built in 1840 can be seen here: (ground floor, gallery floor)
Notice in particular the position of the pulpit, the arrangements linking the Chancel, Robing Room and Vestry, and the existence of the West Gallery – all very different from what we have known!
Some relics from the old church were incorporated into the new church, and can be readily seen today.
Look in particular for:
The Magnus Monument
The Saxon doorway
Memorials from the old church
Medieval font from the old church