The Rector reported that the quota expected from St John’s Parish was £86 a year (about £4,400 today), and until the last two or three years they managed to raise the required amount.
But with the loss of generous subscribers they had only been able to raise £70 odd recently, which was a very fair proportion considering all the circumstances.
Since he became Rector in 1924 St John’s Parish had contributed something like £1,100 (about £70,000 today) to the diocesan fund and some people were inclined to say that this seemed a large sum, considering they did not receive anything back.
They would very much like to secure more annual subscribers to the diocesan fund, and it would be a great help if they could obtain a collector or collectors who would undertake to call on subscribers and prospective subscribers to the fund.
They would also be glad of more district visitors, particularly for the Landport Estate, which was supervised by Miss Reece. There were 250 houses on that estate, all of them being in St John’s Parish, which greatly increased the work. There were also some streets in the older part of the parish for which district visitors were needed.
(Extract from Annual Parochial Church Meeting, 15th of April 1941)