The Rector reported that although they had got through 1939 very satisfactorily from a financial point of view, they had not been able to raise the large quota for the Diocesan Fund that was expected from them.
Parishes were assessed on their capacity to pay, and St John’s was one of those parishes which in the past had been classed as well-to-do.
He was afraid they had not been able to live up to that reputation as in the last few years they had lost some generous supporters with the result that they were not able to do as much for the Diocesan funds as they did formerly.
He felt that St John’s could do better especially if they could secure a number of regular subscribers to this fund, even if the contributions were small.
It would be great help if they could get 40 or 50 people in the parish and congregation to contribute a certain sum regularly every year to this fund, which did a great deal of good in Sussex.
(Extract from Annual Parochial Church Meeting, 26th of March 1940)