Mr Hughes raised the question of the desirability of all the vacant seats being considered free if not occupied five minutes before the commencement of service, and the matter was adjourned for further consideration.
(Extract from Vestry Meeting, 29th of March 1910)
In those days, many of the pews could be reserved for personal use on payment of a pew rent – the remainder being free. When the present church was consecrated in 1840, it is recorded that over half of the seats in the church were free.
Add a comment about this page