Relics of the 1840 church
As part of the alterations to St John’s in 2014, the pews, centre aisle carpet and floorboards were removed.
Notice the curious keyhole shaped mark in the centre aisle slab – could this be connected with the central pulpit and reading desk which is shown on the 1839 plan?
Note the construction revealed when the centre aisle slab was removed. These ducts probably carried the heating pipes from the coal fired boiler which was in a chamber beneath the Chancel floor.