Landport Housing Scheme 1938

Stuart Billington

The Rector said he would also like to thank all the helpers in the parish. Without that help it would be impossible for him to carry on such a large parish, with a population of 3000, single-handed. He was afraid that in the near future he would have to ask for further help, particularly from district visitors.
As they all knew, a housing estate was being developed by the Town Council on the outskirts of the parish – the Landport Housing Estate.
It was proposed to build 240 houses there before the estate was completed, and all of them would be in St John’s Parish.
About half of that number were being proceeded with at first, and before long they would have a population, which would eventually number something like 1000 people, added to their parish.
That, of course, meant a considerable amount of extra work.
It would not do to allow the houses to be occupied before they took some steps to deal with this new development, and therefore he would like to take that opportunity of inviting help, either from those present or from the friends with whom they might come in contact, in arranging for district visiting this new part of the parish when it came to be inhabited.
He hoped they would do their best to assist in this important work.

(Extract from Annual Parochial Church Meeting, 19th of April 1938)

This page was added on 22/01/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *