The Rector reported that they had been compelled to surrender their Church Room partly, to meet special needs arising under war conditions.
When war broke out the education authorities came to him with reference to the use of the room for educational purposes for evacuees and, of course, he assented and the school had been used by Croydon schoolchildren.
Financially they were to receive just sufficient to cover expenses such as fuel, light and cleaning, although they did not make anything out of it.
In addition they had an application from the Roman Catholics in the town for the use of the room for some of their boys on certain evenings in the week, and he agreed to this application and the room was being used by these boys.
It was satisfactorily that they were able to help in this way in the emergency.
(Extract from Annual Parochial Church Meeting, 26th of March 1940)